Monday, July 30, 2018

Peach Pie!

A few days ago, my daughter's best friend phoned me; she was in town on break from medical school, and would I like to come to her parents' house for a little dinner party?  Of course I would, and could I bring anything?  "Oh, no; my father is cooking Persian food so we're all set."  My translation: Mediterranean food likes fruit for dessert, so how about a pie? 

Now, the original recipe calls for you to peel, pit and slice fresh peaches.  That's so much fun that I decided to leave that task for some other person, and just used frozen.  I also changed the spices a little to suit my tastes.  Oh, and I also doubled the recipe, so we would have a pie at home.  No sense disappointing the boys, now is there?

PEACH PIE

1 batch of the Best Pie Crust Ever, for 2 crusts (see sidebar for link)

About 2 pounds of peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (or frozen, if you're like me)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp flour
2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of kosher salt
1 tsp almond extract

Preheat the oven to 425F.  Stir together the peaches, sugars, salt, cinnamon and almond extract.  Sprinkle the flour on top and stir in well.  Scoop the mixture into a pie crust, and spread it out evenly.  Gently lay the second crust over the top of the fruit, trim the excess crust off the edges and crimp the crusts together.  Cut 5 or 6 long slits in the crust for ventilation; then brush whipping cream lightly over the top of the crust and sprinkle turbinado (sanding) sugar over the top.  Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375F (don't open the oven door), and continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes.

Note: Don't be a dope like me!  Put your pie on a baking sheet so the filling doesn't boil over onto the bottom of your oven, set off your fire alarms, and have the alarm company calling to ask you if everything is OK, or if you need the fire department.  It makes the whole baking experience less than fun.


This pie was a great hit at the dinner party; the honoree's brother in law is a chef, and teaches at a culinary institute, and he quizzed me about my pie crust because it was so good. Everyone else raved about the filling.  So I guess this recipe is a keeper. (And of course I forgot to take a picture of the cut pie.  It happens.)

Happy Monday, everyone!

7 comments:

Sue said...

It looks so good! I love the smell and taste of almond, so I'll add it next time I make a peach pie.

Mae Travels said...

It's peach season now -- I found the first local peaches at the farm stand today. I'm afraid it means peeling & slicing!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Big Dude said...

I'm not surprised the pie was a hit and that's a real feel good when a chef asks how you did it.

Pam said...

I love hearing that you are getting out and being social. You always make delicious and beautiful pies - I am not surprised everyone loved it.

grace said...

don't be surprised if you get invited to places more often now--what a delightful thing to bring along! :)

monica said...

Dear Marjie
I just took an update on your blog, and I am so sorry about your loss. Devastating!
For you and your children as well off course.
I wish you all the comfort in the world - sweet peaches must be one of them...

pam said...

It's been so long since I've had a homemade pie!