Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday Miscellany, Pre-Hurricane

Well, everyone's really excited about this hurricane that's supposed to be coming our way.  As for me, I have my oil lamps on the kitchen counter, filled the bathtubs with water (for flushing and washing), all of my pitchers are filled with drinking water, and I got up early to bake Mark's birthday cake.  Hopefully my planning ahead means we won't lose power.

So, for miscellany....

Who else gets annoyed at the stupid prices of wrapping paper?  Well, I found some for sale at a local chocolatier's "seconds" shop (and with premium chocolate, who cares if it's pretty, because it's still decadent).  For about $40 for all of this, who's complaining?

One of the girls bought us a "Cash Cab" calendar last year; it's good solid family entertainment for all of us to check the questions every day.  Friday's question related to a very obscure book, Eats, Shoots and Leaves:

I happen to have that book.  If you're a grammar nerd, it's wickedly funny.

Here's the teaser, from the back cover.

This weekend, I finally finished a dress which I cut out a good month ago.  I'm wearing it today, for Mark's birthday; pictures Wednesday (or some time).  I also cut out a skirt for Faye's Carnival of Skirts challenge; if the power goes down, maybe I'll just sew it up on my treadle machine.  Or maybe not; it might be too dark in here.

Happy Monday, everyone!  Hope not too many of you are disrupted by this storm.

14 comments:

SissySees said...

Oh, I know what calendar Uncle is getting for his desk for 2014... Love that book AND Cash Cab!

Pretty paper too. Great score.

pam said...

Well, it sounds like you are prepared! Stay safe!

Two French Bulldogs said...

It sounds like snow is headed your way. Be safe
Benny & Lily

Sue said...

I do hate paying the asking price for wrapping paper. I try to get creative to save money. It seems such a waste when it's just going to be torn off again.

Stay safe and dry and we're all hoping that your power stays on.

rottrover said...

Hope the hurricane is a non-event for you all!!

Anonymous said...

I wondered if you were in its path. The bathtub is a brilliant idea. Stay safe, first of all. And if you are safe and sound, show us what it looks like. Hurricane is one of the only natural disasters I haven't witnessed.

Diane said...

Not sure exactly where you are but I am keeping fingers crossed for you all. I spoke to friends in Delaware this morning and they hope that they are well battened down. Take care, thinking of you Diane

Big Dude said...

Sounds like it may be coming right at you. Good luck and batten down the hatches.

Pam said...

A Cash Cab calendar would be awesome! Stay safe!!

Dexter said...

Hope you are all safe and snug during the big storm. We've got the generator running and (sigh) Monday night football.

Mango Momma

Blond Duck said...

I remember that book! Be careful!

Claire S. said...

I saw the path and figured you might get it. We're supposed to get some rain, but they're saying mostly wind. I think it's circling around us. Take care, be safe.

Sarah said...

It sounds like a wicked storm. I hope you will not have to use your rations.

grace said...

more than one person in my life has referred to me as a grammar nazi, so i think i'd appreciate that book very much! :)