Friday, February 6, 2009

Honey Milk Bread


I make bread at least every other day. My older kids prefer store bought, pre sliced bread, and when they're home, and willing to go to the supermarket to procure it, that's fine. But I always have bread in the house for sandwiches, snacking, even feeding vitamins to Thor. Often, I make French or Italian bread (minimal ingredients and fuss). Last night, I decided to try a somewhat different bread from Beth Hensperger's Bread Machine Cookbook.

Except for English Muffin Bread, which I set on a delayed timer, so it's fresh and hot for breakfast, I use my bread machine as a mixer. Really, who can fault a nice, enclosed mixer, out of which the dry ingredients can't puff and leave a delightful dusty film on the counter? All of my breads can be put in the bread machine and ignored until they're done, but I prefer to shape them into traditional loaves. Let's just say it's a small reward for my being otherwise very efficient (or lazy) and doing everything in the minimal steps possible.

HONEY MILK BREAD

2/3 cup warm milk
2/3 cup warm water
6 tsp yeast
3-3/4 cups flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp honey
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp gluten (optional)

Pour the milk and water into the bread machine's container or a mixing bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it. Add the remaining ingredients in the order given, put the container into the bread machine, turn it on and let it knead for about 10 minutes. Or, stir half the flour into the yeast mixture, add the oil, honey and salt, and the remaining flour. Turn onto a floured counter or board, and knead for about 10 minutes, until the dough is firm and shiny. Let rise 15 minutes, then divide the dough into 2 pieces and press into 2 loaf pans. Let the loaves rise until they reach the top of the loaf pans, 30 to 45 minutes, and bake at 350F for approximately 25 minutes, or until the loaves are as dark as you would like.

This was a very soft, surprisingly light bread with a lot of flavor from the honey. The boys ate quite a bit with their chicken dinner last night, which was surprising, since the chicken came with stuffing. G, if you did get a bread machine, this is an easy experimental bread for you!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't get one. Although that bread looks fabulous. JB decided that he would rather have "quick" breads for breakfast than traditional breads. So I've been making coffee cake on Sunday and feeding him all week :) g

Sue said...

I love my bread machine. I let it do all the work. The dogs line up when they hear the finish bell. They all love warm bread and the birds start yelling. They love it, too.

imjacobsmom said...

I suppose you answered this a million times already. What brand of bread machine do you own? I don't have one yet and I always wanted on. ~ Robyn

SissySees said...

I think that I'll make bread this weekend. I might even let the bread maker do it all...

Pam said...

I am so impressed with you. Making bread every other day? I really need to start using my bread machine. The bread looks moist, light and delicious.

Paula said...

Mmmm ... I'll take that slice that's center-left. Oh, and the one next to it, too. I can only imagine how yummy your house smells when the bread is baking. One day, those older kids are going to be eating a sandwich on blah bread and lament that they don't have daily access to mom's bread! My hubby loves homemade bread, and I know would jump for joy if I made it. Not only because it tastes great, but he doesn't like the wimpy slices on store bought bread. Yet another reason my hubby can never, ever know you do this! :-)

Breezy Point Mom said...

Oh my goodness, that bread looks so good!

Anette said...

I like the thought of honey in bread! I've used syrup before, but thats not the same. I might try that next time!

The Blonde Duck said...

I really want to make this bread. I love having thick bread around for sandwiches and such. Ben's diet is killing me!

buffalodick said...

I used my bread maker(a lot!) primarily to make dough with. When it died, I started using my Kitchen-aid mixer!

pam said...

I was just looking through that book today, thinking that I need to try more out of it,instead of the same old, same old.

Ann Made Studio said...

I was also wondering what bread machine you have?
I'm thinking fresh bread in the morning might be very nice!

jesse said...

You make bread every other day??? @_@ Seriously, you're such an inspiration!!

grace said...

kudos to you for making your own bread. it's far superior anyway, especially this version! the sweetness of honey is perfect in this application, but you already knew that. :)

Mo Diva said...

I admire you for making your own bread regularly. I did that when I first moved but succumbed to the convenience of store bought stuff. :-(

Jan said...

I can't believe your kids prefer store bought bread to homemade. I have never made my own bread, I really will have to have a go sometime. Thanks for the recommendation on the bread machine in your more recent post.