Monday, February 4, 2008

Bread Sticks

The Super Bowl is over; the commercials were disappointing; my little guy nearly cried over the Patriots' loss; my most wonderful dog never even glanced at the coffee table on which foods were piled well below his nose level (except from across the room).
By far, I'd have to say that these bread sticks were a great hit. I let the boys form them, so they're rather uneven, but I'll take uneven bread sticks and happy children any day of my life.

BREAD STICKS

1-1/3 cups water
1-1/3 tbsp butter
4 tsp sugar
1-1/4 tsp salt
4 cups flour
4 tbsp powdered milk
6 tsp yeast

Mix all ingredients together for dough. Let rise, then split into 24 balls, which can be rolled out into ropes. Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter, and let cool, then mix the butter with 2 tbsp olive oil 2 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp oregano. Drizzle the cooled butter/olive oil mix over the formed bread sticks, let rise, then bake at 400 for 12 to 15 minutes. The shorter the baking time, the softer the bread sticks will be. I served them with a bowl of marinara sauce for dipping, and they were almost all gone. My husband saved a few for today's snacking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are my youngest child's favorite. In addition to the tasty garlic butter coating, she likes a little grated parmesean cheese sprinkled on top before baking. They are a meal in and of themselves. My kids could devour a plateful in record speeds. How cool that your kids made yours. They did a great job!